Friday, September 10, 2010

If it's Labor Day ... I'm at the U.S. 10k


The U.S. 10k is a 10k race held every Labor Day in Cobb County, Georgia. And that's where you will find me every year at that time, along with a bunch of Atlanta skater friends (and non-Atlanta skater friends, for that matter). You have to support your local events!

Here is a YouTube promo for the 2009 event:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=55iKLE5bKqA&feature=player_embedded#!

10 kilometers, 6.2 miles, may not sound like a lot. But this course has HILLS. The first time I skated it, I was not ready. On the ice, as a hockey player, I have to deal with a lot of things--but not hills. Those hills kicked my ass back in 2007. Over time, with practice, you get a little better at them, though.

Results page here (links to PDF files for recent years, all divisions):
http://us10k.org/results/

To download the 2010 inline skating results as a PDF file:
http://us10k.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/US10K_SKATE_RESULTS.pdf

This year's skate went a lot better for me. Weather was cooler, legs felt better, and I found some good packs to skate with. Result was 24:42, down from last year when I struggled to a time of 26:07. Back in 2007 I think I had a time around 33 minutes (and I wasn't able to skate this event in 2008).

Naturally, being long distance skaters, after we mingled a bit and got some refreshments we turned around and skated the course in the other direction back to the start. Then Clarence and I skated another 8 miles or so home, through the hilliest part of our "Smyrna Skate" route, in order to get some good hill training for A2A. About 20 hilly miles on the day, 6 of them going flat-out (or as close to it as we could muster!).

To paraphrase Badger Bob Johnson, it was a great day for skating.

Completely off the subject, did you notice what Badger Bob used as a pointer when teaching history class during his high school coaching career? I've done that, too, during numerous professional presentations. Gotta love a guy who does that!

No comments:

Post a Comment