Saturday, April 13, 2013

Zurich!

My business in Switzerland took me to Lenzburg, so I wasn't sure I'd get a chance to see Zurich.  As it turns out, my return flight was on Thursday morning so they suggested I stay at a hotel near the airport Wednesday night.  They put me on a train from Lenzburg to the airport (with a stop at Zurich HB--Zürich Hauptbahnhof, the main train station: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Z%C3%BCrich_Hauptbahnhof), where I would catch a shuttle to the hotel.  I thought I wouldn't have time to see Zurich...

But I found myself at the hotel by 6:45 or so, with time on my hands.  Turns out that the trains in Switzerland are very easy to figure out, even for a foreigner who can't speak German.  They also run right on time, no delays that I could see.  So I shuttled back to the airport and took a train back to downtown Zurich.  Here are a few of the pictures I took, all from April 10, 2013.

Somewhere in Zurich, west side of the river.

Somewhere in Zurich, west side of the river.  Near St. Peter Church.

St. Peter Church.

Fraumunster Abbey.

Looking south, over Lake Zurich, from Qualbrucke bridge, towards the Alps.  Cell phone camera doesn't do this shot justice.  The view of the Alps was STUNNING.  Picture taken from here:

Looking north, back up the river, from Qualbrucke bridge.

One of the steep, narrow streets in old Zurich, on the east side of the river.


I love beagles.  Even stuffed Swiss beagles, apparently.  Especially if they have a Swiss blanket on them!

Berner Teller for dinner.  Beef, sausage, ham, sauerkraut, and potatoes.  Delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment