Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Quote of the Day: James Madison on government

"It has been said that all Government is an evil. It would be more proper to say that the necessity of any Government is a misfortune. This necessity however exists; and the problem to be solved is, not what form of Government is perfect, but which of the forms is least imperfect." - James Madison, 1833

This quote speaks to me because I happen to believe that less government is better than the huge government we have today. Yet anytime I make the argument that less government is better people take it to mean I'm some sort of anarchist. They hear "government is bad, therefore you must support the complete abolition of it."

I think Madison summed it up very well with this quote. Government is needed. But we should strive for the least imperfect, the least intrusive, form of government. Unfortunately we are moving in the opposite direction over the years.

No comments:

Post a Comment