Saturday, June 12, 2010

Girl has got to get PAID

By now I'm sure you've all heard of Abby Sunderland. If not, you know what to do.

Without getting into a long discussion, let me say that I am not among those who think it's irresponsible for her to do this. If she's capable, great. Go for it! There are enough people in this world who say NO all the time, they don't need me.

I was a little dismayed when I saw pictures of her boat, saw a web link (abby16.com), clicked it, and saw all kinds of cheesy merchandise for sale. Here I thought I was going to be brought to a website where she discusses her preparation, her reasons for making the journey, maybe some updates along the way. Nope.

I'll be honest, it made me think less of her. My opinion of her is still positive, but it's a notch lower than before.

In one sense I can't blame her. It can't be cheap to make a voyage like that. And now they're down one whole sailboat (most likely, according to the NY Times story)!

To be fair, she does have a blog and a website on which she does discuss some of the things I mentioned above (maybe all, I haven't read back far enough).

But the impression I am left with is that this is more a job for her than a calling. A way to set herself up to get paid (book deals and all that).

On a lighter note, I hope they didn't order too much Abby16 merchandise! Let's face it, time is running out. She won't be 16 forever. And it looks like she's not going to make that trip around the world while she is 16. Abby17 anyone?

P.S. Team Abby answers the critics:
http://soloround.blogspot.com/2010/06/answers-to-critics.html

No comments:

Post a Comment