Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Dave Barry @Google

Lots of funny people visiting lately! Dave Barry is the latest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dADfaRbEgqQ&feature=channel

10:29 - "I live in Miami. I moved there, in 1986, from the United States."

11:21 - "My proposed solution to the tourism image problem ... a new tourism promotion campaign based on the the slogan, 'Come back to Miami. We weren't shooting at you.'"

18:30 to 31:00 (okay, this is most of the talk) - A dramatic reading from Dave's book. Hilarious discussion of women and men, and men's critical role in human history that explains many of their quirks.

35:22 to 38:15 - Discussion of state capitols (in response to a previous comment Dave made), which led to a discussion of North Dakota, which led to a mention of the infamous Dave Barry Lift Station #16. "They had this ceremony ... and the mayor of Grand Forks read a proclamation very eloquently comparing my work to the production of human excrement."
http://www.miamiherald.com/2009/03/15/928815/idling-in-the-grand-cities.html

Random image I found:


41:30 - "There are actually six Weinermobiles, I don't know if you knew that. This nation leads the world in Weinermobile technology, although Iran is developing one." When the Oscar Meyer Weinermobile came to Miami they asked if Dave wanted to drive it for a day. "I said heck yes. I knew exactly what I wanted to do. I wanted to pick my son up in middle school." "I know what you're thinking, well Dave it was a lot of fun for you but you scarred your son psychologically for life. Yes, but it was worth it!"


42:55 - In response to whether he's running for president again, and if so whether he might have more to his platform than banning low-flow toilets: "I'm always running, in the sense of accepting contributions." Health care is his newest issue. "I really don't care what else we do about health care in this country but we need to find a way for the medical profession to get to the prostate gland other than the way they're getting to it now."

46:00 - Talking about his first job, at the Daily Local News in West Chester, PA. "This is not the best edited newspaper in the world. We had a front page story with the headline once, 'Woman beats off would-be rapist'."

On a serious note: Barry indicated that the next generation of humor writers are not writing for newspapers. There is no next generation of writers like him. Rather, they are writing for TV or other media. He mentioned shows such as Glee, Community, The Office, 30 Rock, Parks & Rec, and South Park. But he laments the fact that he doesn't know the names of those writers (with the exception of South Park).

No comments:

Post a Comment