Sunday, March 6, 2011

Superbike School!


We all need to take classes to stay up-to-date in whatever it is we want to stay up-to-date on. Well, this particular school is the most fun school I've ever been to: California Superbike School! Here's the link:
http://www.superbikeschool.com/

It is run by Keith Code. Keith is one of the leading motorcycle riding instructors in the world. He has written a number of books on motorcycle riding techniques, but I have to say that his in-person rider training is way better than the books. While his books have great content, they are not well-written--just my opinion. Point is, if you are not impressed by his books do not let that stop you from attending his school. And if you do happen to read his books, don't let his writing style get in the way of extracting all the information you can.

I'm getting the itch to go back for another session. Particularly after I read a recent post by Keith on the Forum portion of his website:
"My Own Sense Of Riding" by Keith Code
http://forums.superbikeschool.com/index.php?showtopic=2805

"There was a very clear moment, back in the 70’s, when I realized that others weren’t experiencing the same joys of riding I was. I honestly felt that they were being robbed. Not wanting to be a snob about it, I earnestly thought: 'Come on, don’t you see what you’re missing here? You’ve got to push it some. You’ve got to challenge yourself. You’ve got to taste some danger. You’ve got to forget about the cool accessories on the bike, just find the passion button and push it. You aren’t a mushroom digesting the seat, ride that thing!' I wanted to instantly transfer to them the passions of my world, my impressions and senses of riding. What can I say, I was naïve."

He then goes on to discuss, in a general sense, how he realized that it took more then riding more to get better. He had to break things down and define individual concepts, in order to be able teach them. Thus was California Superbike School born.

Keith finishes his post like this:
"That urge I had, way back when, has unfolded into this amazing array of techniques. The greatest part for me has been figuring them out, writing them down and sharing them. Start planning now to get out to the track."

I couldn't agree more. Like I said, I think I need to get back on track (so to speak!) this year. The Superbike School schedule is here, if you're interested:
http://www.superbikeschool.com/schedule/

3 comments:

  1. Tom,

    I'm actually in the process of re-writing both "A Twist of the Wrist" books, so there will be genuinely expanded 2nd editions for both. I may even take out the annoying definitions of common words :-)

    Keith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy crap, Keith Code commented on my blog!!! Clearly this is a sign I need to get back to Superbike School this summer! :) (I say this jokingly but I am serious.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just to be clear, there is a LOT of great content in Keith's books. But that content doesn't shine through nearly as well in the books as it does in the live classes.

    The class is laser-focused on key points, with one key point emphasized per track session. These points build progressively in a logical fashion (across multiple levels, one level per track day).

    I don't mean to knock the books, I'm really saying that I was very impressed with the School.

    ReplyDelete