Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Enjoy your tequila and chocolate now, while you can

This article discusses a number of things that we're running out of that you might not be aware of. I wasn't. From Cracked.com:
"6 Important Things You Didn't Know We're Running Out Of"
http://www.cracked.com/article_19048_6-important-things-you-didnt-know-were-running-out-of.html

Okay, so I don't actually care a bit about the tequila, I only put that in there to dress up the blog post title. The crisis here is the possible chocolate shortage--OBVIOUSLY!

I knew some of this, but not all of this. From the article:
"Not only is tending to cocoa trees insanely time-consuming (it takes up to five years to grow a new crop), but everything has to be done by hand in often unbearable heat. And at the end of the day, the average cocoa farmer can expect to earn about 80 cents a day for his trouble."

Damn. Lots of work goes into chocolate!!!

Here's another article about chocolate economics. From The Independent:
"Chocolate: Worth its weight in gold?"
http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/food-and-drink/features/chocolate-worth-its-weight-in-gold-2127874.html

Okay, so I have two points to make:
1. Raise the price if you have to, I'll pay it!
2. In the meantime, I'll keep stocking up on as much chocolate as I can. In my mouth and in my stomach!

No comments:

Post a Comment