Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Visualizing crime in San Francisco

This is a very cool way to visualize crime. Check out this story:

If San Francisco Crime were Elevation
http://dougmccune.com/blog/2010/06/05/if-san-francisco-crime-was-elevation/

Fascinating how some stuff is spread out and other stuff only happens in certain specific places.

This reminds me of when I lived in Minnesota. I would read the local paper and see all the crime statistics from the previous week. Turns out that in my town, almost all of the drug deals and prostitution happened in one place, at a few select hotels near the intersection of Hwy 36 and I-35W (you may remember it from the bridge collapse a few years ago).

Okay, nothing earth-shattering there. But here's the fascinating part: 90+% of the people involved were from out of town, more than half from out of state! I always wondered HOW DID THEY KNOW TO ALWAYS COME TO THOSE PARTICULAR HOTELS? This is going back a few years, before the internet was as ubiquitous as it is now. And yet all these scumbags from out of state knew EXACTLY where to go. Amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment