Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Cars as Fashion Statements

Consider this a follow-up to my Musings on fuel mileage post a few days ago. I ran across this article, which discusses some cars that are purchased for ... let's just say, narcissistic reasons. I strongly agree with article.
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/the-booth-babe-chronicles-narcissism-and-you-an-automotive-primer/

Here is the part that interests me most at the moment:
"And of course this phenomenon extends to the new 'green' world of hybrids. ... There is also a definite subset that buys a hybrid in large part because they want to be seen as the type that drives a hybrid, regardless of whether or not they even recycle at home."

Look, I don't a problem with people buying whatever they want. Lord knows that I don't need multiple motorcycles. If you want to buy a truck because you just like trucks, just buy it. Say you bought it because you like trucks, but don't give me a song and dance that you need it. Likewise, don't tell me you're saving the world because you bought a hybrid. One of my 40 mpg motorcycles has kicked ass for 16 years and my 33 mpg car has lasted 15 years so far (I just replaced the radio, so it should be good for another 15 years, knock on wood). Good luck with the batteries in your hybrid lasting that long. Remember, there are environmental costs to building these vehicles, particularly their batteries...

No comments:

Post a Comment