Tuesday, March 25, 2014

Song of the Day: Haim - If I Could Change Your Mind

Beautiful group I just heard of.  Great new album called "Days Are Gone."

"HAIM - if i could change your mind"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=75S3QyM5FuE


Listen to (most of) their new album here:
"HAIM - Days Are Gone"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4NrhoJ1Dvc&list=PL3tzMKTZezwlg_iMAkScWmm7vwwo-iS42

Beautiful the whole way through.  I found myself initially comparing them to other artists.  Almost a bit of a disco vibe in "Falling."  Other songs remind me of the 80's a bit.  And there were a few guitar notes that almost made me thought that I was listening to the Eagles back in the day.  Believe it or not, I got a bit of a Patty Smyth vibe in some of the vocals.  The Wikipedia entry mentions that they have been compared to Fleetwood Mac, and I guess I don't disagree, but that wasn't the first band that jumped to my mind.

Very hard to categorize--not that they need to be categorized.  But they certainly seem out of step with other contemporary music.  Again, NOT a bad thing, not at all.  Very refreshing, actually.  I'm having fun listening to them, sorting out all these memories that are being stirred up as a listen.  Very nice.

After listening to the whole album...

I think that "If I Could Change Your Mind" is the song that jumps out at me more than the others after a first pass.  "My Song 5" was also a lot of fun to listen to.

I'm not sure if I was just getting into their vibe as I listened longer, or maybe they carefully ordered their songs for best effect, but I got into the album more the longer it played.  "Let Me Go" was particularly good.  The more I listened to it, the less I thought of who they reminded me of.  Who the hell cares, anyway.  I was finally appreciating them for THEM.


No comments:

Post a Comment