Friday, July 27, 2012

Two Phones?


I love this article.  Gotta love those sheep and their iPhones.  By the way, I don't think that ALL iPhone users are sheep, not at all.  I happen to work closely with a consultant who has an iPhone and he responds with very detailed and lengthy e-mails (at crazy times, too) from his iPhone.  But these people in this article are ridiculous.

From the Wall Street Journal:
"When Two Phones Are Better" by Will Connors
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10000872396390443437504577546922450333572.html

So much material to comment on here.

"Style-conscious executives are happy to pull out their iPhones at cool restaurants but when they really need to fire off lots of work emails, they cling to their BlackBerries."

My comment?  Baaaaa.

"A few months ago, she ditched her BlackBerry in favor of the iPhone but quickly became frustrated with the touch-screen keyboard and its autocorrect function. So, despite the hassle, she now always carries both."

Hmm, why not consider a nice Android phone?  There are plenty with real keyboards.  And even if you get a phone without a physical keyboard, Android phones let you customize the soft keyboards, to superior versions provided by the likes of Swype or Swiftkey or similar.  I've long maintained that this is one of the underappreciated fundamental differences between the Android and iOS platforms.  Not just with keyboards, although that is a perfect illustration of the point, but the fact that Android lets you customize the phone in many ways that the iPhone rigidly controls, as I understand it (I've played with iPhones but not used one). I didn't switch from Blackberry to Android myself for business use until they came out with such custom keyboards.  I happen to have used Swype since their earliest days, when they were a very limited Beta release and have loved it from the beginning.

Oh, did you catch one other way to interact with your phone?  Handwriting.  Yes, handwriting.  From the Google Official Blog:
Make your mark on Google with Handwrite for Mobile and Tablet Search
http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2012/07/make-your-mark-on-google-with-handwrite.html
Can the iPhone do that?  (Really, I don't know if it can or not.)

"And then there are image concerns. Amanda Slavin, the 26-year-old director of marketing and events for a New York restaurant group, is used to getting skeptical looks when she pulls out her BlackBerry. She quickly heads off any judgment. 'Don't worry, I also have an iPhone,' she says."

Ms. Slavin went on to say, "Baaaaaa.  Baa Baaaa."

"I hide my BlackBerry unless I actually need to use it," says Stephen Matyasfalvi, 38, a Toronto business consultant. "If I am choosing what device to have out for browsing, calling, etc., it's the iPhone and not the BlackBerry. It's not even about being cooler with the iPhone, they just look so much better!"

What a sheep.  It's not about being cooler?  Please.

"For a couple with four phones, there are multiple annoyances. When a phone rings they have to check all four. Their bedside table is piled high with devices and chargers."

Okay, finally something I can relate to.  In fact, this is a real issue at work.  Someone else described the "problem" this way: "I simply cannot tell which one of my multiple smart phones, tablets or computers just went 'ding'."    :)

No comments:

Post a Comment