Thursday, May 3, 2012

Song of the Day: Jackson Browne - The Pretender

This has long been one of my favorite songs.  I especially like the explanation he gives at the beginning of this video.

"Jackson Browne The Pretender"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xhp96VWLEqA

Jackson Browne explains:
"Someone asked me what, you know, who The Pretender is.  And I, it's, it's um, it's always been my pleasure to avoid answering that question.  But uh ... Because it's not me exactly.  Although sometimes people applaud for me at that moment in the song as if I am.  But in truth there is some of The Pretender in me.  But it's anybody that's sort of lost site of some of their dreams and is trying to make, sort of going through the motions, trying to make a stab at a certain way of life that he sees other people succeeding at.  So, maybe it's a lot of people of a certain generation who sort of embraced a material lifestyle in place of dreams that they had, that sort of disintegrated at some point."

I don't think that I embraced a material lifestyle, but I did chase something ... I don't know how to describe it ... a little different than my dreams.  Something that I saw other people succeed at, but I was unable to.  So maybe not exactly what Jackson Browne was singing about, but very similar sentiments.

Enjoy the song, and don't feel like you have to be A Pretender.

No comments:

Post a Comment