Saturday, April 7, 2012

The difference between being and doing

What does it mean to spend time with someone? Is it enough to just be there?

Not for me, it isn't.

This seems to be something that separates people. Maybe it has to do with my job, or maybe I was attracted to my job because I already had this belief. I need to accomplish things, not just sit there and punch a time clock. But some people think that just "being there" is enough. I disagree.

I need to DO things. Not just BE somewhere.

Sorry, just had to get that off my chest.

P.S. I see this at work all the time (more in past jobs, but also in my present job).  People, working on an hourly basis,  just killing time.  Taking a ton of time in the buffet line, examining every little thing rather than taking their food and moving on.  Watching the clock, as opposed to working from a task list and accomplishing things.  Going through life in slow motion, as opposed to grabbing your food and getting out of people's way, and getting on with your day.

No comments:

Post a Comment