Wednesday, September 28, 2011

How bout dem Cowboys!

I happened to be in Dallas this Monday, September 26th, on business. Our hosts had tickets to the Monday Night Football game, Redskins at Cowboys, so off we went to the Jerry Dome (as I'm told it's called).

First impressions: The stadium is incredible.



The weather was also perfect, so they opened the retractable roof of the stadium.


And the screen is even more incredible (160 x 72 ft.), apparently consuming 635 kW per side.

Speaking of the screen, not only was it HUGE, it was amazingly clear. I didn't get a picture of this so you'll have to take my word for it. I was watching the big screen after a penalty, when the camera is focused on the referee making the call. In the background, in the grass, clear as day, there was a cockroach wandering around in the grass. Later, during another penalty call, I saw a roach in the grass again. Some in my group saw it, too. Amazing how clear that screen is. A Cowboys fan I spoke with later also saw it, on TV, so I know I'm not imagining it!

The pre-game and halftime entertainment was Mexican Ballet Folklorico. One guy in our group does this type of dancing so he particularly enjoyed it. Although even he admitted that the Dallas Cowboy Cheerleaders provided superior entertainment! :)


Reaffirming my faith in humanity, one couple sitting in the row in front of us proved that people with vastly different beliefs can still get along. I never got a great shot of them, but the young man was a diehard Dallas fan, all dressed up in his Cowboys jersey and cap. And the young lady was a diehard Washington fan, dressed up in her Redskins jersey and cap, with some face paint.

Suffice to say, they were all over each other during the game. Yes, even Redskins and Cowboys fans CAN get along! At one point security gave her a warning for some reason (might have been because some people don't approve of such displays of affection), and gave her a yellow card or ticket or something. I couldn't understand why. One of the members of our group speculated that no one would have cared if she had been wearing a Cowboys jersey. I guess they still frown on mixed relationships down there. :)

She didn't seem too upset, though. At most commercial breaks, she would stand up, turn around, and wave the card above her head. Good for her!


The Cowboys came back to win 18-16. The score kind of reminded me of a grade school basketball game!

At the end of the game the fans were jubilant. They were happy that the Cowboys had beaten a division rival and they knew that the Cowboys might have gotten a bit lucky to escape with a win (Redskins botched an easy field goal). As we walked down the ramps the fans were screaming LONG after the game. One of the people in our group, from out of town, said, "Wow, they must not win often!" :)

No comments:

Post a Comment