Thursday, June 23, 2011

Apple releases iPod

Fascinating glimpse from the past, from Slashdot. I wonder if this "iPod" thing will catch on...
"Apple releases iPod"
http://slashdot.org/story/01/10/23/1816257/Apple-releases-iPod

Read the comments. Wonderful glimpse into the past, and a great view of human nature.

I happen to be one of those people who never thought about getting one, didn't think I had any use for it. But then I got one as a gift and now I simply can't imagine living without my iPod Nano, 2nd generation (still working, although I've surely just jinxed that).

Furthermore, now that I have several phones that do podcasts I still find myself turning to the iPod to listen. Slimmer, controls I can use without looking at it, long lasting battery. It is a device that does one thing extraordinarily well. It has its quirks*, for sure. Amazing to me, as I type this, that despite those flaws I still find it to be a wonderful device. In other words, everything else about it is really good.

And here's a bonus cartoon for you about the initial cost of the iPod:
http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2003/5/28/


* iPod quirks, in my opinion:

1. iTunes is a horrible piece of software.

2. Apple's instructions, or lack thereof, are maddening. For example, the iPod locks up regularly, always has, and I had to look up online how to reset it. Didn't help me when I was on a long drive, planning to listen for hours, and no idea how to reset the damn thing.

3. The supposedly intuitive controls have a couple gaping design flaws. For example, when listening to a podcast but browsing through others, hitting the play/pause button does not pause the podcast but instead starts a new podcast or song, based on what item is highlighted at the time in your browsing. That is, TWO buttons (center button and play/pause button) do what you DON'T want and ZERO buttons do what you DO want.

No comments:

Post a Comment