Friday, October 1, 2010

Would you pay to (legally) drive faster?

Here is an article that poses an interesting question. Would you pay to legally drive faster?

From Jalopnik: "Candidate Proposes 90 MPH 'Speed Passes' Worth The Name"
http://jalopnik.com/5631878/candidate-proposes-90-mph-speed-passes-worth-the-name?skyline=true&s=i

So I'll make this short and sweet. My answer? Um, yes! Duh! Where do I sign up?

Okay, enough with the silliness. There is a serious underlying issue here. If this is allowed, or even if people are willing to seriously discuss it, doesn't it show that speed limits are NOT all about safety? That they are primarily for revenue generation? Of course it's about money, and this story shows that quite clearly.

I would add one more thing. I've ridden my VFR in Nevada, on the very road shown in the picture at the top of the article (U.S. Highway 50, "The Loneliest Road in America"). I rode it twice, both to and from California when I rode cross country. I can honestly say that I'd be comfortable going a LOT faster than 90 mph on that road. How do I know? Well, let's just say I'm not going to incriminate myself right here on this blog. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment