Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Me Skate You Long Time!


A week and a half ago Blake, Elizabeth, and I skated the Silver Comet and Chief Ladiga trails from Smyrna, Georgia to Anniston, Alabama (again). About 95 miles in 96-degree heat (in the middle of the day at least). I thought we had skated a long way.

But let me tell you about Sam. While were were in the middle of our skate, Sam was finishing up a slightly longer skate.

First I'll let Sam tell you about Sam. Check out his website:
www.meskateyoulongtime.com
Be sure to scroll down to the end where he tells you why he chose that name for his website!

Anyway, Sam won the solo division of the "24hrs Inline Montreal," held August 7-8, 2010. The results show that he covered the 2.9 mile course 113 times, or 327.7 miles! If I did my math correctly, a fast lap of 10:17 around the 2.9 mile course works out to a fast lap of 16.9 mph!

In Sam's own words:

"First, I was hoping to break the Joel XXXXXXX Curse. This is when I don't prep and end up changing my equipment last minute, ultimately causing problems, at which point Joel tells me about getting better equipment and having it ready well in advance.

"Needless to say (but necessary to write?), I had not transferred my new frames to the boots I was going to skate in (my old Powerslide R2s), and spent the hour between 1pm and the 2pm start doing that, and getting it done just in time to hustle out the paddock towards the start, a group, rolling start. So naturally, not even two seconds past the starting line ...

"... someone cuts me off in one stroke and falls at/on top of my skates on the next stroke. I do a superman-like belly flop, picking up 9 abrasions in the process, and creating a majorly disgusting, red and black elbow wound where my last one was just finishing up the healing process.

"Won't bore you with the details, but about 327 Uwe-like miles later, I crossed the line as the Solo Division winner.

"I know you all are super impressed now, so what I am going to do, and not to steal the thunder from Guiggs' last MNS, is offer to sign autographs at tonight's skate.

"For guys, it will be $5 for a sheet of paper signed, $10 with personal message. $3 for a postcard, $5 with a message.

"For all the single ladies ... I won't be using paper or postcards. I will be signing body parts instead. $5 for a simple autograph, and $10 with a message.

"Oh, and that's ME paying YOU the $5/$10 for each autograph. I know how the world works."


Cost of autographs? See above.
Sam's humor? Priceless.
Because ... he so roll-y.

No comments:

Post a Comment