Thursday, August 12, 2010

The acquisition of a very fine ride


I graduated from Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute in 1994. I had decided that I was going to buy a bike once I graduated. I had studied the Honda VFR750, and ridden a couple used ones. I loved it. Only debate was whether to get a CBR900RR instead (faster, but not as comfy). In 1994 Honda redesigned the VFR. Not a major redesign, but better in almost every way. I had to have one.

In the week or two before I left Troy, NY I called several dealers back home in Milwaukee and negotiated prices, I called my credit union and arranged a loan, and I called my insurance agent and arranged insurance. During all that time I should have been studying for finals, by the way. Even on the morning of some finals I was focused on motorcycle negotiations.

(tangent alert)

I mean, really. What is more important? School or motorcycle? The answer is obvious. Incidentally, twice while in college I had a choice when making a discretionary purchase: Computer or motorcycle? Motorcycle or computer? I went motorcycle both times! The VFR was the second time. The first time occurred when I was an undergrad at Marquette and I bought a used 1985 Honda V65 Sabre.


I remember that bike purchase like it was yesterday, too. I bought it from the guy who lived in this house. It was the only house on the street with that "half-moon" style window.

Incidentally, when I was looking for used bikes at the time (in 1991 or 1992, I think, when I was a senior at Marquette University) I would ask people why they were selling. There were only two answers: 1) I'm getting a Harley. Or 2) I'm getting married. That's it. No other answers. The guy I bought from was getting married. Poor bastard. :)

I bought the V65 Sabre because I was jealous. My brother had an old Kawasaki SR650 (or KZ650SR? I'm not sure). He let me ride it from time to time, and that was great. But then he bought a used 1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator. I was SO JEALOUS! I had to have my own bike. A few weeks later, I bought the Sabre.

(end tangent)

Anyway, I graduated from RPI on Friday, May 20, 1994. I drove to Cleveland on Saturday. I drove to Milwaukee on Sunday. I visited a couple dealers to finalize negotiations on Monday. Went to the credit union and to the insurance agent Tuesday morning. And I bought the VFR from Honda Man (now called Sportland 2) at 3 or 4p on Tuesday, May 24, 1994.

Spud, an old friend of mine, still calls my VFR my "sewing machine." Kind of a silly story, but Honda Man used to be located in Cudahy, Wisconsin. When they moved down to Rawson Avenue, in Oak Creek (where they were when I bought my VFR and still are), the old Honda Man building became Quamme's Sewing Center (which has also changed names over the years, apparently). Hence, my bike came from the same place the sewing machines did!

A week and a half later I went back to work at Cooper Power Systems, where I had worked while still at Marquette and in the time after I graduated from Marquette but before I went to RPI. I had stayed in touch with my co-workers while I was at RPI. They knew I wanted a new motorcycle. When I got to work they told me that they were going to set up a pool, in which they were going make their bets on how long it would take me to buy a bike. I told them I bought the new bike two weeks ago! I didn't wait to start the new job! And that was the end of that. Whoever would have guessed "-1.857 weeks" would have won the bet!

P.S. The VFR still kicks ass. It's been all over. Deal's Gap, Blue Ridge Parkway, up to the tip of the Keweenaw Peninsula. And two summers ago, to the Golden Gate Bridge and many locations in between--including several 10,000' passes in the Rockies. Skyline Drive and all the great roads in the mountains between San Jose and San Francisco. When I took the job at Google, I rode my motorcycle out to California from Atlanta. It was quite a trip. But that will have to be another blog post (if I ever get to it).

No comments:

Post a Comment