Wednesday, June 23, 2010

What do Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer and Toyota have in common?

While in college in Milwaukee I worked as a banquet waiter at the Pfister Hotel. Today I am going pass on some of the most important wisdom from that period of my life.

We did a lot of weddings, obviously. See the Pfister photo gallery, and click the Weddings tab to see some pictures. (I like the second photo in that album, which shows the Imperial Ballroom, which happens to be where I waited on Julia Child.) Or check out the Pfister Hotel wedding link.

Anyway, I worked hundreds of weddings. At many of those weddings they would ask the guests not to clink their glasses to get the married couple to kiss. Rather, they asked the guests to stand up, as a table, and sing a song with the word "love" in it. Over the years I worked there I heard LOTS of different songs. But these are my two favorites. Remember these if you are ever asked to sing a song with "love" in it!

1. I Love What You Do For Me, Toyota!
This was a very popular commercial slogan when I was a waiter. Here is another commercial, with this slogan. The people in the ads would always jump in the air during that jingle, so I encouraged the people at my tables to jump as high as they could. This song has the advantages of being very short (not much/any singing required) and it makes everyone in the room laugh!

2. Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer
This one is very clever. When I would suggest this to my tables the reaction was always the same: Where does it have the word "love" in it? So everyone at the table would take a few minutes and try to remember the lyrics, they'd figure it out, then they'd rehearse, and finally stand up and sing it. Of course, when they did the whole dining room would be scratching their heads trying to figure out what the heck this had to do with "love." Of course, the punchline, the word "love," is delivered right near the end of the song. Some people didn't figure it out, and then when "love" was sung the whole dining room would clap in approval.

So, I'm not saying this is the most useful advice you'll receive today. But I hope it amuses you as much as it amuses me!

No comments:

Post a Comment